Makes About 12
This recipe requires a bread-maker. You can chill the swirls in the fridge overnight so that they are ready to go in the oven for breakfast.
Oven Temperature 180ºC/350ºF
Ingredients for the dough
230ml soya milk (1 cup)
3 or 4 cardamom pods, gently crushed open
50g vegan margarine
40g sugar seeds from 1/4 vanilla pod
A pinch of salt
360g strong white flour (3 cups) 2 teaspoons yeast (1 x 7g packet)
20g softened/melted margarine
15 g demarara sugar
20g chopped pistachios
Seeds from 1/4 vanilla pod.
2 tablespoons of maple or agave syrup
60ml soya milk
More chopped pistachios to scatter over the top.
1) Warm the milk in a pan with the cardamom pods and margarine. When it’s quite warm and the margarine is melting, take the pan off the heat and leave it for the cardamom to infuse and the margarine to melt.
2) Pour the milk mixture into the bread-maker. The milk mixture needs to be warm, but not hot, or you’ll kill the yeast. If it’s too hot, allow to cool slightly.
3) Add the sugar, salt and vanilla seeds. If you don’t have vanilla pods, just leave out the vanilla; don’t substitute with vanilla extract, as the alcohol in the extract may kill the yeast.
4) Add the flour and yeast, and set the bread-maker off on the ‘dough’ cycle. You could brush the lid with oil to stop the dough from sticking.
5) Remove the dough with lightly-floured hands and roll into a rectangle (about 25 x 30cm).
6) Spread the 20g of softened margarine on top, stir the vanilla seeds into 20g of demarara sugar and sprinkle over the top. Scatter the chopped pistachios on top.
7) Roll up the dough to form a ‘log’, which should then be cut into about 12 slices. Arrange the slices on a deep, greased baking tray and leave in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes.
8) Bake at 180ºC for 20-25 minutes until light golden brown. It’s better to slightly under-cook them than to leave them in too long.
9) While the swirls are in the oven, make the glaze. Put the milk, sugar, margarine and maple syrup in a pan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves and the mixture starts to bubble. Let it boil for a couple of minutes, then take off the heat, and leave to thicken.
10) When the swirls come out of the oven, pour the glaze all over the top and garnish with chopped pistachios.