Makes: One 8″ round cake.
Oven Temperature: 180ºC/375ºF/Gas 5
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
350g SR flour
270g caster sugar
150ml sunflower oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1) Put self-raising flour, baking powder, sugar and cocoa in a bowl and mix well.
2) Pour over vegetable oil and then the water and vanilla essence.
3) Beat thoroughly with an electric whisk.
4) Pour into two round 8″ sandwich tins and bake for about 25 minutes at 180ºC until cooked through.
5) When cool, sandwich the cakes with chocolate buttercream icing, and decorate the top and sides with fudge icing.
200g icing sugar (sieve it first)
50g vegan margarine
50g melted vegan chocolate
1 tsp vanilla essence
20ml soya milk
For the chocolate buttercream icing: Beat margarine until soft. Stir in icing sugar 50g at a time. Whisk with an electric whisk or beat with a wooden spoon. Add melted chocolate, vanilla essence and 1 or 2 tablespoons of soya milk.
120 g sugar
60ml water/soya milk
1tsp vanilla essence
For the fudge icing: Put sugar and water/milk in a pan and simmer for 5 minutes exactly. Remove from the heat and stir in pieces of chocolate and then margarine and finally vanilla. Pour the icing into a bowl and leave it to cool. If it’s too runny then put it in the fridge to set, but make sure it doesn’t go too solid or you’ll need to re-melt it.