Makes 6 – 8 Servings
Oven Temperature 190ºC/375ºF/Gas 5
Cooking Time 35 minutes
150g (6 oz) self raising flour
Large pinch of salt
75g (3 oz) vegetable margarine
About 2 tbsp cold water
375g (12 oz) golden syrup
110g (4 oz) white breadcrumbs
1 large lemon
1) Rub the margarine into the flour and salt until the mixture resembles ‘breadcrumbs’.
2) Add the water and blend it in with a palette knife.
3) Press the mixture together tightly with your hands and roll it out on a floured board.
4) Use pastry to line a 20cm (8″) pie tin. Cover with cling film and put it in the fridge.
Instructions 5) Roll out the pastry trimmings. If you have quite a lot left, cut 8 strips of pastry about 1 1/2cm wide. 4 of them should be almost 20cm long. The other 4 can be about 15cm long. If there isn’t enough pastry to do this, cut out some stars or other shapes using cookie cutters.
6) Put the syrup and breadcrumbs into a saucepan.
7) Grate the zest from the lemon, then cut it in half and squeeze out the juice. Put the zest and juice with the syrup and breadcrumbs.
8) Warm the breadcrumb mixture over a very low heat until the breadcrumbs have absorbed some of the moisture and swollen up.
9) Take the pastry case out of the fridge and pour in the breadcrumb mixture. Make a lattice on the top of the tart using the pastry strips, or decorate with pastry shapes.
10) Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes at 190ºC/375ºF. Good with custard.