Makes about 15
Oven Temperature: 160ºC/320ºF/Gas Mark 2 or 3
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
150g (6 oz) vegan margarine or vegan butter
75g (3 oz) caster sugar
150g plain flour
25g ground almonds
1/2 tsp almond essence
1) Put the margarine in a mixing bowl and beat in the caster sugar.
2) Mix in the flour and ground almonds, pressing the dough lightly together with your hands.
3) Chill the dough in the fridge for about 10 minutes to firm it up.
4) Roll small amounts of dough into thin cylinders and form each into the shape of a letter. (The dough will puff up as the biscuits cook.)
5) Arrange on a baking sheet with space to allow spreading, and cook for about 20 minutes until they are lightly browned and cooked through. Keep a close eye on them, as shortbread can over-cook quickly! Transfer to a wire rack to cool.