Oven Temperature 220ºC and 180ºC
Cooking Time: about an hour altogether.
150g self raising flour
75g vegan margarine
Pinch of salt
About 3 or 4 tablespoons of cold water
1 red onion
1 small courgette
Tomato Sauce Ingredients
1 white onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
Herbs (e.g. basil and oregano)
Vecon stock paste/salt and pepper
1) Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC.
2) First make the pastry. Put the flour into a bowl and rub in the margarine. Stir in the walnuts, and add just enough cold water to mix to a firm dough. Squash the pastry into a ball, wrap in cling film and put it in the fridge to chill.
3) Meanwhile roast the vegetables. Cut the onion into quarters, and cut each quarter into 2 or 3 wedges. Slice the peppers, courgette and aubergine.
4) Put the vegetables in a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes. Take out the vegetables, and then reduce the temperature of the oven to 180ºC.
5) Chop onion and garlic and fry in a bit of olive oil for a few minutes until softened. Add the tomatoes, herbs and seasoning and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced and is quite thick.
6) Grease your pie or flan tin. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out into a circle on a floured board. Put a sprinkling on flour on your rolling pin, then roll the pastry around the rolling pin and carefully unroll over the flan tin. Use a sharp knife to trim off the extra pastry. Prick the pastry case all over with a fork, put a layer of grease-proof paper over it, cover with baking beads or rice and bake blind for about 20 minutes.
7) When the pastry case is ready, remove the beads and grease-proof paper, spread the tomato sauce over the base of the tart and top with the roasted vegetables.
8) Cook for about 10 minutes until heated through and serve with basil leaves/pesto.