Cooking Time: 45 minutes
75g (3 oz) moong dal
50g (2 oz) masoor dal (red lentils)
50g (2 oz) urid dal
50g (2 oz) toowar dal
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 onion – sliced.
2 cloves garlic – chopped.
1 or 2 tomatoes – chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seed (jeera)
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1) Wash the lentils thoroughly and leave to soak for about 45 minutes.
2) Drain lentils and put them in a large saucepan with about 2 1/2 pints of water and the turmeric.
3) Bring to the boil and simmer for about 45 minutes until the lentils are soft. Drain.
4) Heat some vegetable oil in a saucepan. When it is hot, add the cumin seeds, stir, then add the chopped garlic and onion, and the rest of the spices.
5)When onion begins to go brown, add the tomato and cook until softened
6) Add the drained lentils to the onion mixture. Add salt to taste, and if necessary add a bit more water. Heat through and serve.