Oven Temperature: 220ºC/435ºF/Gas 7
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
175g (7 oz) macaroni
50g (2 oz) plain flour
2 level tsp cornflour (optional)
50g (2 oz) vegetable margarine
550 ml (1 pint) soya milk
Seasoning – Salt and pepper, grated nutmeg or half of a crumbled stock cube.
30g (1 1/2 oz) breadcrumbs
100g (4 oz) vegan cheese (optional)
1)Cook the macaroni in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Drain.
2) Meanwhile melt margarine over low heat and stir in the flours. Let it cook gently (without browning) for one or two minutes.
3) Remove from the heat and stir in the soya milk a little bit at a time.
4) Return to the heat, and stir until the sauce has thickened. Add most of the cheese and season to taste.
5) Pour the sauce over the macaroni in an ovenproof dish.
6) Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and the rest of the cheese, and cook for about 20 minutes at 220ºC/435ºF until browned and bubbling.