Oven Temperature 220ºC/435ºF/Gas 7
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Tomato and Lentil Sauce
175g (6oz) green lentils (the puy, or speckled green ‘lentilles vertes’ are my favourite)
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 clove of garlic
1 tin of tomatoes
A squirt of tomato puree
250ml water (about 9 fl oz)
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of thyme
Two teaspoons of vecon stock paste (or a stock cube)
50g (2oz) margarine
50g (2 oz) plain flour
568ml soya milk (1 pint!)
1/2 teaspoon of vecon or a pinch of salt
6 lasagne sheets (the ‘no pre-cooking required’ sort)
100g of grated vegan cheese, or a sprinkling of vegan parmesan (optional)
1) Rinse the lentils and put them in a saucepan. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil and boil vigorously for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, you can get on with making the sauce. After 10 minutes of vigorous boiling, you can let them simmer away in the background until you are ready to add them to the sauce.
3) Chop the onion and garlic, put them in vegetable oil in a large saucepan and begin to fry very gently on a low heat.
4) Add chopped aubergine and courgette, and cook over a low heat for a further 10 minutes.
5) Add the tin of tomatoes, tomato puree, 250ml of water, vecon/stock cube, herbs and the drained lentils and let it simmer while you make the white sauce.
6) To make the white sauce, melt the margarine in a pan. Stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes, being careful not to let it brown. Remove from the heat and stir in the soya milk – VERY gradually, stirring in the milk all the time so that it doesn’t go lumpy. Bring back to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
7) Add about 1/2 a teaspoon of vecon, or a pinch of salt. Stir in the grated vegan cheese if you are using it.
8) Put half of the lentil sauce in the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Cover with a layer of lasagne sheets, then pour over the rest of the pasta sauce.
9)Cover with another layer of lasagne, then pour the white sauce over the top.
10)Cook for about 40 minutes at 220ºC/435ºF until the lasagne is cooked through and the top has browned.