Makes: 1 large flammekueche
Oven Temperature: 220ºC/435ºF/Gas 7
Cooking Time: About an hour for the dough + 20 minutes cooking
225g (about 8 oz) plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 sachet of dried yeast (just over half a teaspoon)
1/2 tsp sugar
About 125 ml (4.5 fl oz) hand hot water
For the topping
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions (or 1 large one) – finely sliced
Vegan sour cream – 1 tub
Vegan bacon – 3 or 4 slices
Grated nutmeg – 1/4 tsp or large pinch
Salt and pepper
1) Put flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Pour on enough water to give a soft, but not sticky, dough. Add a bit more flour if it’s too sticky. Knead lightly for a minute or two, and leave in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
2) Knead the dough again for a couple of minutes, and leave for a further 20 minutes. You could get started on the toppings at this point.
3) Oil a baking tray (about 18 x 25cm). Roll out the dough and flatten it onto the tray, pushing it into the corners.
4) Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook onion until softened and starting to caramelise.
5) Stir in the sour cream, add grated nutmeg, then spread over the base. Top with chopped vegan bacon.
6) Cook for about 20 minutes at 220ºC/435ºF.