Frying Time: 6 minutes per batch
250g (9 oz) block of firm tofu
Vegetable oil for frying
Fresh coriander or basil
Sweet chilli sauce
1) Drain the tofu and squeeze the excess liquid out. Pat dry with kitchen roll.
2) Heat the oil in a small saucepan.
3) Cut the tofu into 9 squares. Cut each square in half to make a triangle.
4) When the oil is hot (test it with a minute bit of tofu and see if it sizzles), add tofu triangles in two or three batches, and fry for 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown on the outside (but still soft in the middle). Drain and put on kitchen roll to absorb the excess oil.
5) When the tofu has cooled down enough to handle, slice the triangles in half to make a little ‘sandwich’. Put a dollop of chilli sauce and a few coriander or basil leaves in each one. Arrange on plates and serve straight away.