Makes Serves 4-6
Oven Temperature: 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
1 head of cauliflower (or broccoli)
25g (1 oz) plain flour
25g (1 oz) vegetable margarine
300ml (1/2 pint) of soya milk
100g (4oz) vegan cheese
Salt and pepper
25g (1 oz) breadcrumbs
1) Cut the cauliflower or broccoli into florets and put them in a small ovenproof dish.
2) Melt margarine over low heat and stir in the flour. Let the flour cook gently for one or two minutes.
3) Remove from the heat, and add soya milk a little bit at a time, stirring so that the sauce doesn’t go lumpy.
4) Return to the heat, and stir until the sauce has thickened. Add most of the grated cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
5) Pour the sauce over the cauliflower or broccoli and sprinkle breadcrumbs and the rest of the grated cheese on top.
6) Cook at about 200ºC/400ºF for about 25 minutes, until the cauliflower or broccoli is cooked and the breadcrumbs are browned.