Makes: 6 burgers
Cooking Time: 2 batches of 10 minutes
100g (4 oz) breadcrumbs
1 tin of kidney beans
1 tin of cannellini beans
1 tsp chilli powder or 2 chopped chillies
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp flour
Vegetable oil for frying
1) Put 50g (2 oz) (half) of the breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl.
2) Finely chop the onion and grate the carrot.
3) Fry the onion gently in a tbsp of oil until softened. Add the grated carrot and fry for another 2 or 3 minutes, then add the onions and carrot to the breadcrumbs in the mixing bowl.
4) Rinse the kidney and cannellini beans thoroughly and drain. Mash them roughly with a fork and stir into the carrot mixture with the chillies, salt and pepper.
5) Put the remaining 50g (2 oz) of breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl with the flour, herbs, salt and pepper.
6) Shape the bean mixture into 6 burgers. Thoroughly coat each burger in the flour and breadcrumb mixture.
7) Heat 3tbs oil in a frying pan, and carefully add 3 burgers. Fry each side for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Repeat with the other 3 burgers.