Makes: 6 Servings
Cooking Time: 6-8 hours, plus 2 on Christmas day
175g (7 oz) raisins
75g (3 oz) currants
75g (3 oz) sultanas
110g (4 oz) shredded vegetable suet
50g (2 oz) candied peel
Juice and rind of 1 orange
Juice and rind of 1 lemon
1 chopped apple
75g (3 oz) self raising flour
25g (1 oz) plain flour
110g (4 oz) white breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons black treacle
100ml (4 fl oz) Guinness, or another vegan stout
1/2 tsp ground/grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
50g (2 oz) chopped blanched almonds
1) Grease 1 litre basin
2) Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix well
3) Stir clockwise and make a wish!
4) Tip into basin, cover with a greased greaseproof paper circle and foil lid (scrunched at the edges to hold it on) and lift into pan.
5) Pour boiling water half way up sides, put lid on pan, put on a low heat and steam for at least 6 hours. You may need to add water from time to time.
6) Remove from the water, cool and put plastic lid on, or new foil.
7) On Christmas day, stand in pan, bring to the boil and steam for two hours. Serve with custard or Christmas pudding sauce.