Oven Temperature: 220ºC/435ºF
Cooking Time: 25 mins
About 20 whole chestnuts
8 small mushrooms
15g plain flour
20ml orange juice
1 tsp (5g) sugar
100ml vegetable stock
20ml vegan red wine
125g puff pastry (defrosted, if frozen)
1) Using a sharp knife make a small split in the flat side of each chestnut. Cook them for 10 mins (either in a hot oven or a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes), peel them and chop them into quarters. Cut the mushrooms into chunks.
2) Melt the margarine gently in a saucepan. Stir in the flour, and cook for at least a minute, making sure the mixture doesn’t brown.
3) Add the sugar, and very gradually stir in the orange juice then stock, stirring all the time until you have a smooth sauce.
4) Add the chestnuts and mushrooms, and the wine, and slowly bring to the boil, stirring now and then. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
5) Meanwhile roll out the puff pastry until it is about 5mm thick. Cut the pastry into four oblongs.
6) Spoon the filling onto one half of a pastry oblong, leaving a gap at the edge for sealing.
7) Fold over the pastry and seal the edges to make a ‘pasty’ (use a little bit of water if it won’t seal when you squish it together). Cut steam vents in the top with a knife, brush with soya milk and put it onto a baking tray.
8) Repeat with the other pasties, then cook for about 25 minutes at 220ºC/435ºF until golden and ‘puffed up’!